Thursday, 7 February 2013

Day 7: Oggling Andy Warhol

I am way behind with my blog posts, due to having the flu, so I am popping up a few at once, but linking the happenings back to the right day. I won't cover every day as I am sure you don't need to read about me kicking about my house coughing like I'm on my last legs. I am finding the blog post a day a challenge also because sometimes, after a day's work straining my eyes, I simply can't think straight or face sitting looking at a computer screen. Even my facebook folks have noticed my absence!

So onto the art...
Each first Thursday of the month, in Glasgow, the Trongate 103 set of galleries has a 'first Thursday' opening night. Usually each organisation has a different show but this month's openings were under the umbrella theme of 'blueprint', which is a collaboration between a number of Glasgow galleries, archives and museums taking place in February 2013 and was initially conceived as an exploration of the links between alternative photographic processes and fine art photographic printmaking (printing with ink), in making artworks.

The Glasgow Print Studio's show was about photographic techniques in printmaking and covered everything from digital prints (also known as Giclees and Digital Archive prints) to photo etching and photo screenprinting. My particular favourite was a photo-etching by my good friend Fiona Watson, portraying an old typewriter, with some typing on it's paper saying "Everyday I love you more and more. Well  not every day... yesterday you were a bit annoying".

Just Little Words by Fiona Watson, photo etching with chine colle
I am a big fan of her work and you can check out her recent work on her flickr stream. She deservedly sold two on the opening night.

Aside from the work of friends, there were also famous names showing, such as another favourite of mine, Peter Blake with his screenprinted portrait of Doris Day (which looked unervingly like the burlesque performer Wild Card Kitty). The coloured spots featured a substance called Diamond Dust which I, as a lover of glitter, must get for some of my prints!

Peter Blake, Screenprint with diamond dust
The big daddy of the show was a screenprint by Andy Warhol himself. I can't say it was my favourite image of his, but I was certainly impressed by the price tag, especially as it wasn't actually printed by his own fair hand!

the hefty price of fame in the art world

Trevor nearly drops his Ancnoc whisky cocktail in fright!
My favourite Warhols are his portraits and I was happy to say that the GPS was showing one of his most iconic works, Pink Marylin.

Pink Marylin bu Andy Warhol, screenprint
I love how Warhol iconised the people he portrayed by the simple effect of using super contrasty images for the basis of each likeness. This strengthened the graphic effect of the features, but was also very flattering for the sitter. I would love something as strong and bright as this in my home to cheer me up on the grey weather days.

Claire Forsyth, Loudon Castle, screenprint, 56 x 76 cm
I was also taken with Clare Forsyth's melancholic portrait of the roller coaster at Loudon Castle. I have a thing for old decaying monuments to entertainment and glamour, and this reminded me so much of Route 66 and Coney Island that I visited, and enjoyed photographing, in the states. Clare is our studio manager and she created these images by making colour separations onto film, then printing them on individual screens. The registration of each colour is ever so slightly out, so the final image has that great feeling of an old postard, but on a grander scale.


Overall it was a great night, where many new and old friends were met and much Ancnoc whisky was enjoyed, before heading home, a little shakily, on my little folding bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment