Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Art off the Square- Sales in a small village

So we are well aware that the western world has been plunged into a state of recession and business is very tough for businesses, particularly those selling luxury products, like art. Let's face it, if money is looking tight, you are worried about your job and the fuel prices are soaring, the last thing you are going to want to buy is a pretty picture for your wall. I must admit that I have noticed that the sales in galleries have tailed off rapidly and I did spend a lot of the summer wondering what on earth I was doing trying to make a living at this. Two solo shows and only a couple of sales, was enough to test the nerve of the most confident artist. So I decided to take a few risks. I put work into shows that I would normally not enter, or changed the type of work I gave to galleries and shows.

Fairylights on Ashton Lane, mixed media on canvas, 30 x 30cm

Each year in a nearby village in Kilbarchan is a small 3 day art show called Art Off the Square. I had entered what I thought would sell - small Glasgow cityscapes, in previous years and had no luck selling. I had kind of given up hope, but thought I'd give it one more shot and put in two cityscapes for safety, a figure drawing and a burlesque portrait, although not too saucy a one, as the show was in a church after all!


Miss Hell's Belle, oil on canvas, 20 x 20 cm
 And just when I needed it, a miracle happened and I sold two of the four pieces; the large cityscape and the burlesque portrait of the beautiful Miss Hell's Belle. It was one of my favourites after all, so I am not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment