Friday, 26 November 2010

Fire & Brimstone Show Review


Now that the remaining work from Fire & Brimstone is back in Glasgow, I can sit back and say that I was extremely pleased with my first show at Axolotl Gallery in Edinburgh. The team are an extremely professional yet friendly groups of people and I was very impressed by the efforts they went to, to promote the work. I made a number of sales, despite this recession doom and gloom, to buyers in Edinburgh, Newcastle and Austria.
I was also very honoured to be showing work alongside artist Paul Muzni, whose vibrant life paintings were particularly inspiring, and I met many new art contacts on the opening night.

The cherry on the cake was my first review, which is as follows:-

Fiona Wilson has her finger so tightly on the pulse of the zeitgeist, she is in danger of cutting off its circulation. In her ‘Fire & Brimstone’ collection, chiaroscuro oils depict burlesque artists and tattooed nudes, many with wings which transform them into metaphysical beings of light – or darkness. The moody pieces capitalise on the current fascination with the supernatural, combined with the vogue for burlesque and vintage style.

‘Harlots’ is – appropriately enough – a dominant piece, a large work depicting two sultry female figures. The background swirls with dark material and patterns behind them: it and the title give the work a devilish and sinful quality which is compelling. In ‘A Thing Of Beauty’, Wilson has incorporated real bird feathers into the oils, turning her portrait of a young woman into something more beguiling.

Another standout piece is ‘Greed’, featuring a dark-haired woman in provocative pose, her limbs fading into the Klimt-like pattern of the background. Other paintings in the collection are more graphical in style, feeling like panels from a graphic novel at times, but Wilson’s siren-like oils are most definitely the seductive stars of this show.

Keith D, Edinburgh Spotlight Review- New Works at Axolotl, Nov 11th 2010

The original can be seen here:
http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2010/11/review-new-works-at-axolotl-gallery/

I am not very good at 'bigging' myself up, so I am very pleased that Keith D was able to do it for me!
I am now busy tidying up loose ends before embarking on a new project which has been living in a sketchbook for way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment